Thursday, April 24, 2014

Tidy drawer, tidy mind

My socket drawer has always annoyed me due to:
Too many loose sockets that didn't come in a set so had no plastic tray. 
Present plastic trays were too flimsy, and I was unable to take them out for fear of them breaking. 
The 3/8,1/4 set didn't have the size of the socket next to each socket. So I was always pulling stupid 3/8" instead of 10mm
The draw only extended 3/4 of the way out hiding the loose crap at the back. 

I flattened the metal tabs and added a screw to allow the drawers to fully extend. This would decrease the weight this draw could hold, but I think it's ok as the draw runners are really quite well made. 

I cut up a mat designed to kids to play on and cut a space for each tool. Should have really built A hot wire cutter for the foam, would have made cutting it so easy. This mat was perfect as it was tough and cheap. The socket holders I think are designed for mounting to a wall judging by the holes at each end, but whatever. I can take a selection of sockets to the job easily. And everything has a place making it super easy to quickly see what's missing. Although labelling the sockets took ages (especially) the small ones it's well worth it to not have to dig out the socket list every time I wanted a socket. All in all I give myself 13/16.
On a unrelated note the imperial system of measuring is stupid. 
Next up? I'm looking at you spanner drawer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment