Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Christmas special!


With my partners birthday late in November and Christmas just after that, I decided to build some Christmas presents for her.  She really gets really excited by Christmas. My opion? Bar humbug!

First up, an advent Callander. 
I'm no where near creative enough to come up with a design, so I pinched this one. 


This was by far the biggest PITA to build that I've ever attempted. 
I had to hand make 50 tiny little nails for the doors. 
25 tiny little stained dowels for the handles
And at least 5 million dado joints. 
It's supposed to look kinda of like it has just snowed on it. 
I was too cheap to buy 3different colours of proper paint, so I choose some kids craft paint. It's washable is written in large letters on the front of the bottle. Great I thought, if j's kid ever vomits on it, it'll come right off with a damp cloth. Nope. What they really mean is it will ALWAYS be able to wash off with water, even if it has dried! Didn't realise that bombshell till I tried painting a coat of white over the green, it just mixed the white and green together! 
Oh well, at least now I know. 
The other point of interest is the numbers on each of the door. I used a stencil to pull that off, haven't used one of those since bob hawke was in power.

Next up. 

I found a 7ft Christmas tree. The box it came is sucked, so I built a better one out of 6mm MDF, pine supports and finished it in wrapping paper. It was quite fun and quick to make. 
The only wood of wisdom I have is don't use any water, oil, or blood based adhesives. It look great when the paper is applied, but the paper being well paper adsorbes the water then contracts as it dries and leaves giant wrinkles in the paper. I ended up using an aerosol spray adhesive, that worked well.
No present is complete without a bow, and what better then a wood bow!
This was made from pine and a mystery wood. Ripped some super thin stripes on the tablesaw and attached in the centre with hot gule, and a red button added for good measure. 
That's enough Christmas to last me a decade. 

Till next time. 



No comments:

Post a Comment