Saturday, September 7, 2013

Pressure washer hose reel

I brought a pressure washer a while back, and a feature that I weighted heavily was a long hose. The one I ended up with has a 7m hose which is good but not great. I couldn't make it all round the car in one pass and cleaning the deck meant dragging the thing up a flight of stairs. Last time I made a trip to the hardware store I was looking at a genuine hose but the price made me look else ware. I came across a generic one at a reasonable price and bought it. Now armed with 17m of hose I can clean the deck and the car without moving the unit. Perfect. (the only downside is there is some pressure loss. Doesn't really mater when clearing the car or deck)




I had another reel lying around, but it was too big. It did however have a nice sized tube that i hacked out of it. Using my circle cutting jig i cut two circles out of MDF. The two circles are joined together with three long bots that i nicked from the other reel. They didn't have threads where i needed them, so this gave me an excuse to try out my tap and die set. After (most) of the bits were painted (badly) i put it together.
And done! Once the paint hardens i'll be able to give it a run. Happy times.


Till next time

Alister

6 comments:

  1. Wow!! Great thinking:) How did you manage to secure the reel?? (or is that a silly girl question?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The two pieces extending up the handle of the washer have holes drilled in them which allow the reel to spin. The reel and handle are fixed to a piece of dowel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, it was a girly question!! I should have thought of the reel as a type of saddle joint!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bit of a rip off of the Karcher K5.7 T300 http://shop.smithsonequipment.com.au/karcher-pressure-washer-5700-t300-p-265.html but i will give it to you anyway because you prob saved quite a few hundred taking this route. I'm curious about the pressure drop and how much of a drop you found. I never studied physics but i know the principle is there ( prob lenght x diameter x someotherthing) All in all well done. I know your pain as my hose is about 5 mtrs. Oh Lastly, get a Gerni if that one dies. Ive had both and recon its superior for the same $$.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have stayed awake many a night about having a longer hose... I have noticed a direct correlation between my level of frustration and the karcher's tendancy to fall over which is supposed to mean sudden pressure washer death. Where did you get you hose from?

    I like your idea but is it a bit too top heavy with 17m of hose on top? Does it need to be on a wide fixed base to stop it tipping?

    Another great Alister plan realised!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah there's a similar model I looked at the had the built in hose reel and yeah it was heaps more. Haven't done any real tests, subjectively it seems less pressure. Will need to look into it further. Hose can from big green shed $50. Yeah it's top heavy. It doesn't fall over unless the hose is pulled from the reel. May need to invent a drop down foot or something to prevent this.

    ReplyDelete